Friday, November 20, 2015

LMS Intermediate Pistol AAR

I  had the chance to attend the LMS Intermediate Pistol Clinic this year.  Lead Instructor was my friend "Chappy" of LMS Defense, and now CEO of Raven Concealment. Here is a quick and dirty AAR from it.



LMS Intermediate Pistol Clinic

Ammo suggested was 300-500 rounds. I used all 500 I brought. Chappy uses the default shots fired each time of a NSR or Non Standard Response. AKA – anything from 3-7 rounds (or more) each time you shoot unless specified. This avoids you getting into a “controlled pair” or “double tap” mentality.

My Glock 22 was Biohazard rated as I don’t have a Grip Force Adapter on it and it was well lubed with my blood each time I shot. Man up and embrace the pain of your blood lubing the gun. No gun issues experience by me, even with the “Glock in .40 with a Weapon Mounted Light” combo that the Internet says won’t work. (Glock 22 Gen 3 with less than 1K on RSA and a X-300 U-boat.

Teaching. Listen to the Ballistic Radio episode with Chappy from season 2. Chappy teaches Modules that are based on the classes’ capability, and what is needed based on individuals needs. They are all designed to help you self train by showing drills to work on to allow you to fix stuff on your own.

The instructor student ratio in the morning was 1 to 4/5, and in the afternoon, 1 to 3. This ensured everyone got attention to his or her issues. It also ensured that eyes were around one people to make sure safety was not a concern.

I drug along a friend to this class, and was happy to do so. Got the opportunity to talk to someone during the long drive, and someone to bounce stuff off of after class and during the drive home to ensure lessons learned were retained. Notes being taken immediately after/during class is something I learned to do quickly as it helps me have info for later.

Admin Briefing:
Chappy did a very quick and to the point briefing including a clear and succinct medical brief. It was a pleasant relief to see that as I’ve seen a few guys push for long (30 minutes) safety/medical briefings that I feel undercut the issue at hand. At least 2 students and 2 instructors had CAT TQ’s on belts in addition to medical kit standing by on the line. Chappy was constantly hitting on the hydrate, hydrate, hydrate mantra. Yes, you piss a lot, but it beats being dehydrated and the promised rehydration procedure.

Knowing that I’m responsibly for a part of my Departments range training, Chappy took the time to add some info to ensure I got what I needed on how to teach to my guys when I get back to work. This was a major bonus to me.
Lessons Learned:
Work grip/stance to fix an issue.
Grip/Presentation
Not a multipart process, as it sets up for a choppy presentation. One smooth push from holster to target with finger touching trigger.
Reset under recoil is how speed happens. I dry practice a lot, but doing it will not help your reset under recoil and cause you to struggle with it.
Distance and accuracy
Sight focus. Use tip of FSP and know your POI/POA at distances. Personally I must spend more time shooting outside of 15 yards, ideally more 20 and 25-yard work.
Positions:
            Draw doesn’t change, rules of muzzling don’t change
            Kneeling
            Prone
            Into/From Kneeling to Prone and vice versa.
Reloads suck, assess that the target is yours. I shot my buddies target when I did a reload from the prone on a slanted pile of dirt that caused me to get a natural alignment on his target. Fortunately for him, they were both hits.
Rhythm Shooting.
Chappy had explained this in class, and it was the first time I “got it” and really took it too home.
Make this the goal in all your shooting. Helps keep accuracy and speed there.
Progressive Malfunction Clearance
Worth taking the class to see how/why he teaches this. Instead of several separate procedures that may or may not work at night, you clear them all the same speedy way. It will require testing part of it with your gun, but it does worth with Glocks without issues. 
Shooting while moving.
Same as normal shooting. Accept your wobble, speed comes with practice. It was magic to see hits in the A-zone stay there even as you speed up. I didn’t hit the C-zone until I was sprinting down range. Follow the instructions and you’ll hit.


In summary, go shoot. A lot. At distance. Or else you earn a accurate depiction of your shooting skills.





No comments:

Post a Comment