Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Comfort Zones and The Necessity to Leave Them

Comfort Zones and The Necessity to Leave Them

Recently on the new forum primaryandsecondary.com a thread was posted challenging users of two different size carry guns to try the following shooting tests and compare results:
Without shooting for 5 days:
·      Cold shoot untimed 10 rounds at 25 yards with a 8” circle. Record score
·      From holster at 5 yards: 7 rounds timed at a 6” circle. Record score.
·      Shoot the same test again after no less than 5 days of not shooting the second or alternate carry gun.

I shot the test with my issued unmodified Glock 22 with Trijicon night sights and American Eagle 185gr ammo.
·      25 yards: 7/10 rounds
·      5 yards: 6/7 rounds in 3.92 seconds from an open carried Phantom holster
6 days later I shot it with my personally owned/modified Glock 19. The gun has a slight grip reduction and a Grip Force Adapter as well as a set of Ameriglo “Operator” sights on it. I haven’t shot it in 1 year before this. I don’t recall when I last shot it at 25 yards, nor do I recall where the sight hold was for 25 yards. In the test I shot it with a box of Speer Lawman 115gr 9mm ammo.
·      25 yards: 4/10 rounds.
·      5 yards: 7/7 rounds in 3.36 seconds from the same open carried Phantom holster.

This test/challenge taught me a few things. One of them was that I need to spend a little more ammo shooting at 25 yards to dial in the accuracy side of my shooting. I feel way more comfortable shooting 15 yards and in, hence I spend more time shooting 15 yards and in. The next thing was to spend the time to know my sights and hold’s at 25 yards for example. When I fired my Glock 19, after the first 6 rounds I lowered my gun and looked at the target and noticed none of them were in the circle. I saw they were hitting high and held the sights on the bottom of the target. Next thing I knew, 4 in the circle. This could be a result of the sight height, or it could just be that batch of ammunition. I haven’t noticed this issue during my 15 yard and in shooting, since it was so close that really wasn’t noticeable.

Is 25 yard shooting a realistic distance? Yes it is. As described on my bio/intro, I’m a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO). One of the duties of a LEO is to do traffic stops. Measuring the average distance from the drivers door a patrol vehicle on a traffic stop to the drivers door on a stopped vehicle will get you in the 20-30 yard range depending on vehicle length and distance between your vehicle and the stopped vehicle. Watch dash cam videos to see how many shootings take place starting at that distance and closing – suspect closing on officer or officer as approaching suspect. If I can accurately engage a target at 25 yards, as well as accurately and quickly engage a target at 5 yards, I can adjust my speed necessity for the appropriate distance and target size. One must practice both though to get that level of skill.

            In summary, get out of your comfort zone. If you are happy with a 10 second F.A.S.T. drill, get the 8-second goal. If you can do 10 pushups, do 20. If you can run a mile, run 2 miles. Instead of a day at the range shooting with the FBI “Q” target as the accuracy standard, use the NRA 25 yard pistol bull “black” zone. Instead of eating a slice of pie with dinner, eat the whole pie. ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment