Monday, February 24, 2014

Magpul Rail Light Mount

Magpul Rail Light Mount


I was looking for a product to allow offset mounting of either a Surefire M600 Scout or a P2X Fury in a offset “high” location along with a 12 O’Clock mounted DBAL (future reference will also include a PEQ-15 I hope).

Currently I was only able to see success with a Larue offset mount – cost over $120.00. The Magpul at retail of $30.00 seemed like a good option. Sadly, that was not the case. It works well at being tight and tucked into the rail, but to tight for use with a DBAL on my current rail systems of a VLTOR VIS and Daniel Defense Lite 12.0 FSP. Changing rail systems may completely make my photos and information, useless to you. The video Magpul produced for Brownell’s shows the RLM working fine with a DBAL, but on a specific Geissele rail.

The light mount for a light only, no laser available, option is awesome. Its rapid to mount and tight to the rail locking it in tight into the gaps between rail sides (i.e. between the 9 and 12 rails). It is similar to some of the IWC produced Haley Strategic mounts, only about half the price and much more versatile.

Magpul Mount on DD Lite 12.0" FSP at 9 O’clock:





When the light is pushed as far forward as possible to allow interface with a DBAL mounted as far forward as possible, issues arise. Based on eyeballing it, I do not believe that this would work with the PEQ-15 on this rail either. This would seem to work for people with 7” rails and 10.5" or longer barrels – M-4 or MK-18 style weapons.





Attempted to use RLM 12 O’Clock with DBAL at 12. The light wouldn't poke around the DBAL.

I was finally able to use the RLM, by moving the DBAL back behind the FSP. This setup would work better on a non FSP rail.




Attempted to use Larue with DBAL at 12 on DD lite, no go. It wouldn’t mount as the light head of the Fury was to big and would hit the side of the DBAL before I could even try to lock the mount on.


Final RLM setup with IR illuminated showing the glare of the IR of the bezel of the M600 Scout.






Larue on VLTOR VIS with DBAL at 12:

I found the right and left side Magpul mounts did the same thing on the VIS as on the 12.0 FSP, although I didn’t take pictures of it.



Conclusion:

Currently and upon arrival of a second DBAL, my 12.0 FSP setup will look as follows:


A Unity Tactical FUSION system might solve my rail/light/DBAL woes with the 12.0 FSP setup. This setup should be inbound in the near future.

Lights with DBAL’s and PEQ’s are more complicated than running just a light. Even more so difficult because of IR laser placement needs in regards to NOD’s and “glare.” The RLM is a very good product, even if it can be a complete pain for someone like me to install with a DBAL. On my DBAL less guns, it is replacing my other light mounts such as the VTAC and Larue.



No comments:

Post a Comment