Wednesday, March 21, 2012

3 21 2012

Gear T&E Update:

I try out new kit a lot compared to some people. One of the things I finally got around to picking up is a Surefire Mag-60 a 60 round AR magazine. So far I’ve only ran 120ish rounds out of it – 1 mag per range trip. Yesterday it had its first malfunctions, but I believe those are ammunition related, not a magazine issue. First malfunction was a failure to pick up another round and the second was a dead primer. As I was using some reloaded ammo, I believe that there probably wasn’t enough powder in the first round to cycle enough to pick up another round and I know for sure that the last round was a dead primer.

So far I’m liking the 60 round magazine for what is purpose is even at the added weight.

Shooting:
Shot the Federal Air Marshal’s 7 yard or “Old” test for the first time. That’s a hard test to shoot, especially if you’ve never shot it before. Generally skills tests are something that the shooter has to practice to pass. For example, the FAM test has a shoot 1, slide lock reload, from kneeling shoot 1 drill you shoot twice. I’ve not practiced this before but the time difference between my first and second time shooting that drill was noticeable as the second time was faster. I like to shoot tests once in a while as a way to measure skill, but I don’t like shooting only the same test.

Gear:
I’ve been running Raven Concealment kit for the last 2.5 years almost nonstop for my CCW/Off Duty needs. Most of the time its been a Phantom holster for a Glock 17/22 with X300 or more recently for a G17/22 with X400. I usually run a single mag pouch for my extra mag needs. Recently I started carrying two backup mags. I prefer to carry mags more towards my centerline, and usually run the single mag about 10:30/11:00. I found that the double mag pouch from Raven is to big for my slim body type to be worn in the same 10:30/11:00 area.

What I will be doing is ordering another single Raven mag pouch for carry so I can do one at 10:30/11:00 and one at 9:00.
Here are photos showing the contour of my body in relation to the mag pouches.

Photobucket

Photobucket

What’s Next:

The next blog posting will be a repost of an article from “Trek” of Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute. It’s a well written article on choosing a CCW weapon.

2 comments:

  1. Regarding the double mag pouch / body contour issue, that is a very good point. Wouldn't it be possible to heat the kydex enough to reform the double pouch to your particular body contour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazyhawk99,
    I'm not sure. I would rather just run two singles with one at 9:00 and one at 11:00/11:30.

    ReplyDelete